Thursday, August 12, 2010

Beginning in Jesus.

Recently, I decided that it was best that I engage in a bible study. Not sure what I wanted I prayed that God would show me the path to take. Last week I met with Kay for our  first meeting of the bible study me and her started, the book we are using titled: Beginning in Jesus. Foundations need to be made. I look back, and I feel like its been a while since I was saved, but it really hasn't. I still need guidance, and I am still learning things day after day. I need this. It is what is best. In order to change my world of being filled with pride, fear, doubt, sadness, and heartache that I let rest upon my shoulders, everything and anything I do should always Begin in Jesus and lastly End in Jesus. He should be the only one I turn to. Life is more than material possessions. More than tomorrow and more than my future on Earth. I am still finding it hard even now.  

The study will go as followed. Last week Kay and I meet and went through the introduction of the book. Tomorrow when we meet we will discuss fellowship. The sections follow after as such: discipleship, ministry, evangelism and lastly worship, all of these being five major biblical purposes that lead to spiritual growth. The book says to compare it like this. If you play baseball, you can be an outstanding batter--but you still need to be able to know how to catch, run, throw and slide. You need more than one skill to impact your team. In the same way, having a handle on one or two of the five biblical purposes is great--but when they're all reflected together in a person's life, that person is much more biblically balanced and healthy. Each session that me and Kay complete will have a theme and places in the Beginning in Jesus Book for me to journal, write comments, discuss questions, and read a few short stories. The fellowship section has a theme of connecting your heart to others. The discipleship section has a theme of growing to be like Jesus. The Ministry section has a theme of serving others in love; the evangelism section has a theme of sharing your story and God's story, while the worship section has a theme of surrendering your life to honor God. Not only does this book have all of those things to help during the bible study, it even has at home sections with in each section so that when Kay and I are finished I can at some point during the week take time out to continue the bible study on my own doing weekly reflections, daily bible readings with passages provided, training myself with memory verses. I can also journal in the book or finish the wrap up section that has many questions that can not always get answered in the sessions. 

I am excited to start this adventure with Kay and Jesus by my side. It will take trust, confidentiality, honesty, care, openness, risk, and a weekly commitment to meet regularly but I am so so so ready for it. 

1 comment:

  1. Great insight and perspective! No one better than Kay to lead you!

    Melanie

    ReplyDelete